Sharing all my tips for How To Make Smash Burgers! It’s so easy and only takes a few simple ingredients to pull off this grilling classic!
I want to tell you all the things I love about smash burgers! They are super simple, just a few ingredients. And they are quick! I love that about them. Especially if you are grilling out for a bunch of people, it’s nice that these are quick to make but still so delicious and full of flavor! Read on to find out all the details for making these smash burgers.
This post contains affiliate links if you purchase a product through these links I may earn a few pennies at no cost to you.Thanks for keeping this free blog going!
How To Make Smash Burgers
When it comes to smash burgers, the name really says it all! Basically, you smash the patties onto a searing hot griddle, season with a big of salt & pepper, melt some cheese and you’re done! That easy. Of course, I had to be a little extra and add some Special Sauce and onions.
Like I said before, making these burgers couldn’t be easier. I was accustom to making big, fat burgers on the grill, which for the record, I still absolutely love, but these smash burgers are just so dang quick and easy! One of things I like about them is that you don’t really need to worry about the temperature of the meat because the patties are so thin that these cook in just 2-3 minutes. Plus, even if you over cook them a tad, the searing hot griddle makes for crispy edges which only increase the deliciousness factor.
Tips For Making Smash Burgers Like A Pro
These are my tips for turning out smash burgers like a busy diner. Quick, always delicious and best of all easy!
- Be sure to get your griddle searing hot. Like hot, hot, hot. We let our griddle heat up for at least 10 minutes before cooking. The quickest way to do this is to bring your grill or stove top to the highest heat setting and let the griddle sit there for a few minutes. If you are using a grill, close it and that will help speed up the process.
- Brush the griddle with vegetable oil, or another high heat oil, right before adding the patties. This will help them get those crispy bits on the edges. You can test to see if the griddle is hot enough by dropping a few drops of water onto it. They should immediately sizzle and evaporate. That’s when you know it’s ready!
- Two really thin patties are better than one bigger patty. We tested this and two super thin (about 0.20 lbs each) patties smashed really thin are better than one medium sized patty. Smash the patties to 1/2inch thick or less.
- Make sure you melt that cheese! Then stack the patties onto a bun dressed with Special Sauce and onions. Or however you please but we like to keep it super simple.
You Might Also Love
Use code NATALIE10 for a 10% discount on your Wholesome Meats order!
How To Make Smash Burgers
- 2 lbs lean grass-fed ground beef I like to use 90%
- 5 burger buns
- 10 American Cheese Singles
- 1/4 cup white onion finely diced
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil or other high heat oil for cooking
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup yellow mustard
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt plus more to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Divide ground beef into 10 equal pieces, about 1/5lb per piece. Keep chilled until ready to grill.
- Heat cast iron griddle to 450° or as hot as you can get it. Meanwhile, make the Special Sauce by whisking together the mayo, mustard, ketchup, salt and pepper until well combined. Set aside.
- Brush the hot griddle with the cooking oil. Working in batches, place two patties at a time (or more if your griddle is large) on the griddle and use a spatula to firmly press them down until very flat. Sprinkle with a mix of salt and pepper. Cook for 1-2 minutes then flip to the other side. Cook 1-2 minutes more. Place a slice of cheese on each patty and close grill lid or cover and let melt. Continue until all patties are cooked.
- Toast buns and schmear with Special Sauce. Add two patties to each bun then top with diced onions and top bun. Enjoy immediately!