Souper Broccoli Cheese Gnocchi is a creamy, delicious, comfort food that is perfect for chilly nights!
The temps are dropping and my cravings for comfort food are at an all time high this season! What’s more comforting than a big bowl of cheesy gnocchi? I can’t think of much! I went back and forth over whether to call this a soup or not. So I included a modification, so you can make this more of a soup or more of a pasta dish depending on your mood! I also included a modification for dairy-free and this dish freezes and reheats super well!
This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase a product through these links I may earn a few pennies. Thanks for keeping this free blog going!
Broccoli Cheese Comfort Food
BMW and I absolutely loved curling up with a big bowl of this Broccoli Cheese Gnocchi in front of the fire! It was sooooo cozy. This dish has grated carrots and fresh broccoli, making it full of veggies, which I love. Some recipes call for you to purée the sauce so the carrots and broccoli are smooth, you can do that if you want, before adding the flour or gnocchi. But I really preferred the veggies in the whole form.
I made this version with 3 cups of chicken broth, which makes it more of a thick soup. If you prefer it to be more like a sauce over your gnocchi, then only use two cups.
Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Gnocchi
Want a vegan version? Sub vegetable broth for chicken broth and full fat coconut cream for the half and half and heavy cream! BOOM! Super satisfying. You can add vegan cheese too!
Souper Broccoli Cheese Gnocchi
I love this dish so much because it is super comforting but it comes together in less than 20 minutes! It’s crazy how easy this recipe is to make. Sometimes I am honestly shocked at how easy it is! Most comfort food dishes cook low and slow, which is delish, but can take hours or even all day. Not this one!
The secret is the gnocchi which takes only minutes to cook. The broccoli cheese sauce is super quick to make but has so much flavor you will think it took all day.
Souper Broccoli Cheese Gnocchi
- 1 1/2 cups white onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups carrots grated
- 2 1/2 cups broccoli finely chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth 2 cups for thicker, 3 cups for more soup-y
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded + more for topping
- 1 lb gnocchi
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3 garlic cloves minced or pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Sauté garlic and onions with salt and butter over medium heat in a large pot until translucent, 2-3 minutes.
- Add carrots and broccoli, stir and let soften, about 3 minutes more.
- Add broth, half and half, cream and spices. Stir until well incorporated. Sprinkle in the flour, one tablespoon at a time, stirring constantly to prevent lumps. Sauce should begin to thicken.
- Add gnocchi and cook for 3-5 additional minutes until gnocchi is tender. Add in cheese, one handful at a time, stirring until melted. Salt to taste and serve hot, topped with additional cheese!
PS – we made a big a batch of this and ate half and froze the rest! It defrosted so well, so it’s perfect for some make ahead meals! What’s your favorite comfort food dish?
This was so good, just the right amount of flavor and spice rolled into a great comfort food meal!
My husband loved it.
This makes me so happy to hear! Glad you enjoyed it!