Ive been craving poached eggs lately. Not sure why, maybe I need more protein or something. Anyways, I decided to add a poached egg to my staple salad: spinach with strawberries, cucumber and avocado. Don’t be afraid… it may sound hard but I’ve had great success using this method to poach an egg.
1. Bring water to a “rolling simmer” not boiling but more than just a few bubbles.
2. Crack egg and place into a bowl with gentle edges so the yoke wont break as you pour it into the water. I used a glad tupperwear and it worked great!
3. Now begin to stir your “rolling simmer” water creating a little whirpool. Very carefully pour the egg into the center of the whirlpool. Now, here’s the tricky part, don’t pour too slowly or all the whites will get separated. A little of the whites will always boil off in my experience but you want to avoid as much as possible.
4. Scour the whites that boil off out of the top of the pot. Let the egg continue to cook for a few minutes. About 3 minutes but times may vary.
5. Have a folded paper towel ready to place the poached egg on after you carefully scoop it out.
6. Then I added the egg atop my usually salad:
- Quartered Strawberries
- Chopped cucumber
- ½ an avocado
- Sprinkle with: Feta, Pepper, Garlic Sea Salt and
the secret ingredient Italian Seasoning
- Drizzle with Balsamic vinegar and olive oil
There you have it! Another one of my favorites… a fork and knife salad.
Leave a Reply