This pie is an end of a really long work week, so I’m going to get drunk on pie-pie. But seriously. I have had a series of really busy weeks, so when Friday came along, I decided to forgo happy hour and dinner plans to come home and dive straight into this galette.
My mom came for a visit and brought me the most wonderfully ripe peaches from a local peach festival near her town. I know, I know it’s a little cliché to say, but really, these peaches were so much sweeter and better than the ones I usually get at the store.
They were perfectly tender and juicy. Even their scent made my mouth water! So thanks, Mom, for saving a few of these peaches to bring to me! My mom used her peaches and made some pies with brown sugar crumble crust. I decided to take mine up a notch or two with a little bourbon. Perfect for a Friday evening happy hour, don’t ya think?
I half-way had the idea to turn this whole recipe into a cocktail. I mean, brown sugar bourbon peach smash sounds just as good a pie, right? When cooking and baking with adult spirits, I highly recommend keeping things as simple as possible. I think it makes the whole experience a little more enjoyable.
Enter the galette. It has all the flakiness and taste of a regular pie crust, but without the hassle of getting everything to look super perfect like lots of pies. When I started on my pie adventure almost a year ago, I started with a galette! They are also wonderful for showing off gorgeous stone fruits which are in season right now, like peaches.
If you’re trying to decide between happy hour or dessert, I say just combine the two and have a peach galette!
For the Pie Crust:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water, cold
- 7 tablespoons butter, cold
For the Pie Filling:
- 3 cups sliced peaches, about 3 small peaches
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 ounces bourbon
For the Crust:
- Sift flour and salt together. Cut butter into cubes and place in freezer for 5 minutes to get cold.
- Using a fork, stir butter cubes into flour mixture until well coated.
- Add water and use hands to work dough into a ball.
- Place dough in the freezer for 15 minutes to get cold again.
- Separate dough into three equal parts and roll out until 1/4″ thick. Set aside.
- Slice peaches into 1/2″ thick slices. Arrange peaches into center of each rolled out dough. Gently fold edges around sides.
For the Pie Filling:
- Melt brown sugar and bourbon together over medium high heat. It will melt quickly, stir constantly and be careful not to burn it.
- Immediately pour sugar mixture over top of peaches.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes or until edges are golden brown and filling is bubbling.
- Let cool completely and serve.
Leave a Reply