Spicy, Asian soups have long been a favorite go-to meal of mine! Seriously, this spicy coconut soup will cure what ails ya! Whenever I get the chance to eat Thai food, you betcha I am getting the Tom Kha Gai soup. So it only made sense I figured out how to make a quick and easy at-home version! This recipe was part of my budget friendly recipes for Austin Woman. Three recipes, six meals and only $20! Get the shopping list here or the Tom Kha Gai recipe below.
TOM KHA GAI
Serves two | Prep time: 10 minutes | cook time: 15 minutes | Nutrition (per serving): 314 calories; 22 grams of protein
1 rotisserie chicken breast, skin removed and shredded
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 14-ounce can low-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 stalk lemongrass, minced
1 lime, zested and juiced
2 tablespoons garlic chili sauce
1 14-ounce can light coconut milk
1/4 pound baby bella mushrooms, thinly sliced
Cilantro for garnish
1. Toss shredded chicken with fish sauce and set aside.
2. In a pot, combine the chicken broth, brown sugar, lemongrass, lime zest and chili sauce, then cook over medium heat for about three minutes.
3. Add the coconut milk and simmer for another five minutes.
4. Add the chicken and mushrooms, and stir until the mushrooms are tender, about five more minutes.
5. Stir in the lime juice and serve garnished with cilantro.