Y’all 2016 needs to slow down. Like for reals. It’s all going by so fast and we are totally all losing our minds. Or is it just me? Ok glad we got that out of the way. I like easy recipes. Like stupid, easy, put it all in one pot and let the machine do its thang easy. Enter this recipe for Lemongrass Turmeric Slow Cooker Chicken. Basically, I was looking for an easy recipe that had turmeric in it and stumbled upon a delicious looking recipe for turmeric butter chicken. But it required a few too many pans so I totally riffed off of it and made this crock pot version. It’s fragrant and will fill your house with mouth-watering smells coming from the kitchen. Plus, it’s a slow cooker recipe that cooks in 2-3 hours and not 4-8. Yeah, so you can totally do this after work hours. You’re welcome. My gift to you!
Bonus points: this also makes great leftovers! Yup, so even if you are cooking for one, this crock pot recipe is for you. I also happen to like my dinner served up with a nice glass of wine. Sometimes (like this time) I even whip out the fancy, gold forks to eat with. Just makes it feel a little more like an occasion, don’t ya think? Even that just happens to be a Tuesday and celebrating the fact that the fall temps might dip below 90 degrees. Here’s to hoping!
Lemongrass Turmeric Slow Cooker Chicken
a major riff on Lady & Pups Turmeric Butter Chicken Rice
1 can lite coconut milk
1 pound of chicken breast
½ cup white rice
1 stalk of lemongrass
1 small shallot
3 cloves of garlic
1 small red chili (optional or sub 1 tablespoon of sriracha for heat)
2 tablespoons of fish sauce
1 tablespoon of butter
1 tablespoon of minced fresh ginger
1 tablespoon of turmeric powder
½ teaspoon brown sugar
Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Wash, pat dry and do a rough chop of the lemongrass, garlic, chili, shallot and ginger.
- In a food processor or high-powered blender, combine the above with coconut milk until mostly smooth
- In a crock pot or slow cooker, stir together herbed coconut milk with fish sauce, turmeric powder, sugar and butter.
- Place chicken into crock pot and cover with sauce.
- Let cook on high for 2-3 hours or until chicken is cooked through.
- Cook rice according to package about 30 minutes before chicken is done.
- Serve chicken with sauce over hot rice with cilantro for garnish. Add salt & pepper if desired.
Serves 2-4, depending on how hungry you are!