I want to introduce you all to my gorgeous friend Amanda McArthur. By day, she’s wheeling and dealing social media technology in her high-powered career like it’s nobody’s business. Off the clock, she’s into living a healthy, balanced lifestyle with a focus on nutrition and how that affects our metaphysical well-being. Lucky for me, she’s an adoring friend and always up for long chats. She is constantly pumping me full of great, healthy tips, not just for the body, but the mind too! I couldn’t think of a better way to share all her knowledge than for her to say it herself! Without further adieu, here she is folks!
“Now that SXSW is well behind us, you might still be feeling tired and sluggish from an amazing 2 weeks party-hopping, discovering new apps and technologies, and uncovering new bands. You’ve accomplished all of this on a diet consisting of coffee, food trailers, and vodka sodas (all while feeling lucky if you managed to get even 4 hours of shut-eye).
In a nonstop city like Austin, it’s easy to live to the extreme. Your first instinct might be to jump to the opposite extreme: DETOX! FAST! JUICE CLEANSE!
While I’m offering some suggestions to definitely rid the body of all the toxins, let’s shift the way we think about a detox and instead of taking away, let’s focus on adding for the purpose of rejuvenation.
1) ADD a green juice in the morning: an amazing source of nutrients and protein-packed food from raw sources. We’re lucky to live in a city that LOVES our juices! My favorites are the Pineapple Popeye from Daily Juice and the Tri Pinnacle from Juiceland .
2) Coffee: Let’s get real. Your body will probably go into shock if you were to choose right now to cut out all caffeine. Instead, focus on subbing the dairy out for coconut or almond milk-based creamer and switch your yucky chlorinated Splenda’s with a Stevia or Agave sweetener. Limit to one cup a day and maybe pour a smaller cup. (Maybe.)
3) Vitamin B supplements: You can get these in natural drop form from Whole Foods or any vitamin shops. Your body has probably been stripped of this natural form of energy after a week(s) of putting not so healthy things in your body. On top of natural energy, Vitamin Bs are essential for good rest, minimizing anxiety levels, and helping your body get back on a natural sleep rhythm. Look for a well-rounded formula as each B works together to provide maximum benefits!
4) Milk Thistle: Liver detox. Enough said.
5) Eat clean! Switch out your traditional meats for grass-fed, organic, hormone-free ones. Switch processed energy drinks and bars for all natural options like local faves Thunderbird Energetica and Bearded Brothers or Kombucha teas.
6) Add your fruits and veggies. (Organic, when possible) Snack on low glycemic options like berries, apples, carrots, and cucumbers all day long – no limit!
8) Power down: Artificial light tricks our bodies in thinking it’s still daylight and we never get the signal that it’s time to start falling asleep. Turn off the TV and your iPhone about 30-45 minutes before bed and keep the lights dim. Take an Epsom-salt bath or read a book with low lighting. Prepare to wake up feeling rested and rejuvenated! ”
For gorgeous snapshots of food and travel, follow Amanda on Instagram .
I’m feeling refreshed just reading that post! What are your favorite ways to ADD health into your lifestyle?